Total Pageviews

Saturday 28 June 2014

Is software superstar Hatsune Miku a better pop icon than Justin Bieber?


Let's hope Hatsune Miku is the future of pop.


Last year on a trip to Japan, the character bombarded me. Arcades, shopping complexes, subways, television programs and convenience stores were polka-dotted with her glowing face. If you wanted something, chances were it came emblazoned with Miku branding, be it a toy figurine or a hyper-sexualized pastry.


How had someone, or something, become so popular across the world, and yet my colleagues and I had hardly heard of it? My curiosity led, as I suspect it does with many Miku fans, to a bit of obsession. The littlest bit of investigation reveals Miku isn't just a pop star; she's a bold improvement on the way we engage with intellectual property. She's what Justin Bieber, Mickey Mouse and...


Continue reading…






from The Verge - All Posts http://ift.tt/1lmKpGJ

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment